Thursday, July 24, 2014

Playing with Words Has Never Been So Fun


Sometimes, it's fun to make fun of ourselves.  I draw the line at cutting remarks or really hurtful things. But finding humor in ourselves is just flat out fun.  

Like those caricature drawings we used to get at Six Flags.  Did you ever get one of those?  I know I have a big forehead.  But not that big!

That's why I like my next Diamond, Amalie Silver and her book "Word Play".  It is a story about the literary community....authors, bloggers, publishers, street teams, yes, even trolls.  You name it, there is a character for it!    And when you look at it all from Ms. Silver's perspective, it can be pretty funny.  

But the literary world can also charming and endearing. And that is also something Ms. Silver does a wonderful job portraying.  Her characters are book nerds in their most genuine form.

When I started reading this book, I was in a bad mood.  And I'll admit, I almost put it down. But by 10% I was really interested.  By 25%, I was completely engaged.  And by 41%, I was laughing out loud at how much it actually reminds me of several author events I have attended.  Ms. Silver nailed it and the crazy things that happen when you get a bunch of literary lovers together in a room.  Who knew?

So click here to take this book with you to the beach.  Make sure you take it all at face value. Don't look for angst and life changing meaning.  It is a satirical comedy after all.  Look for heart and fun and a little bit of romance.

If you look close enough, you might even be able to find a fun caricature of yourself!

I'm not joking or satirical when I give Amalie Silver's "Word Play"




No comments:

Post a Comment