Thursday, July 31, 2014

Good Feels for Good Wood


One of the mom's in my daughter's Daisy troop (that's Girl Scouts for kindergartners) just fascinates me.  

Betty always wears her black hair in a style reminiscent of the 50's.  She has bright red lipstick and dresses to the nines.  And she's tatted out from neck to toe.  I'm sure she finds me terribly creepy because I find her incredibly beautiful and just want to stare at her!  (And yes, I recognize the awesome coincidence of my Betty having the same name as Betty Page, the most famous pin up model ever!)

When I picked up "Good Wood" by my latest Diamonds, L.G.Pace III and Michelle Pace, I got almost an identical description of the main character!  From a reader standpoint, it gave me the best visual image and really got me engaged immediately.

I know not everyone has a real Betty in their life.  But that won't take away from the enjoyment of this book.  It was everything a good book should be.  It made me laugh.  It made me cry.  It made me happy.  It made me mad.  I loved the characters and the story and the plot.  

Here's the official synopsis that I got from Amazon:

"It's the sign of a true artisan when he can create beauty from what others consider trash.  It takes heart to use a twisted bit of scrap and make something from it as if it were good wood."

Somehow Joe survived the unlivable, and now he's just going through the motions.  An endless string of one night stands does little to dull the ache from all he's lost.  Even though he distracts himself daily with back-breaking work, his violent rage still simmers just under the surface.

Then along comes Molly, the feisty baby sister of his two best friends.  Joe hasn't seen her in years, and he's unprepared for his reaction to her when she falls out of the food truck and into his arms.  Molly is still as mouthy as ever, and now she's as delicious as the food she's serving up.  It's totally against "The Bro Code", but he just can't seem to keep his hands off of her.

Molly has come back home to Austin to mend fences and feel a whole new crowd.  Dealing with Joe's demons doesn't figure into her business model.   Something is very different about him and she craves the "Old Joe" she used to have a crush on.  Still, the broody carpenter's swagger is damn near irresistible.  And all work and no play makes Molly a cranky girl.

Sounds great, right?  

It is.

While it doesn't end in a cliffhanger, you will still be anxiously waiting for the next installment, just like me.  So pick up "Good Wood" by clicking here.  

It gets a solidly crafted





No comments:

Post a Comment