Thursday, May 28, 2015

An "Awkward" Tale We're All Likely to Relate To


Kristin here. Are you a one-click addict like me? I’m horrible about buying books and then forgetting about them, especially when they’re free and I haven’t heard of them. Anyway, that’s how I found my newest Diamond, R K Ryals, and her fabulous book "The Story of Awkward". Here’s the synopsis:

"If you're looking for a happy book about beautiful people, this is the wrong story.  If you are looking for a narrative without emotion, without regrets, and without mistakes, this is definitely the wrong story.  This is by no means an uncomplicated tale about uncomplicated people.  It is by no means sweet or light.  This story is ugly.  This story is complicated.  This story is emotional.  This story is tragic.  In short, this story is about being awkward.  
Peregrine Storke is an artist with an odd sketchbook full of pictures she's drawn since she was a child.  It is a book full of strange sketches and awkward characters, for there is no better way to hide from bullying and life than to create a world of your own.  With a stroke of her pencil, she has given life to a spectacled princess, a freckle-nosed king, a candy loving troll, a two-horned unicorn, and a graceless fairy.  At nineteen, Peregrine leaves her home, her sketchbook, and awkwardness behind. But what happens when something goes wrong in the world of Awkward?  
Trapped inside of her complex realm with the bully she thought to leave behind, Peregrine discovers there is nothing worse than falling for your own villain."

Looking back, I would have never chosen this story if I had really known what it was about. You should know by now that I don’t read the synopsis of any book because I like to go in blind. Let’s be honest; sometimes the synopsis just gives too much away! 

I’m so glad that I gave this one a try, though, because I ended up loving it! It is such a cute YA story and I cannot wait until my 10 year old is mature enough to read it. I almost thought about reading it out loud to her, leaving out the more mature subject matter. There are no intimate times, but they make some funny jokes that my 10 year old baby girl just doesn’t need to be exposed to just yet. And, I’m off track again!

Perri is relatable to anyone, I think. We might not have the same struggles that she had/has, but we can all relate in some way to her awkward phases growing up. Because of that, this book should be in the hands of every high school student everywhere. I feel that it would help so many to understand that we’re all a little awkward.  From the book nerd to the football star; we all have insecurities that we hide (or try to, at least).

You can get your very own copy of "The Story of Awkward" FOR FREE by clicking here!! 


After embracing my awkwardness, I give R K Ryals and The Story of Awkward an awkward hug goodbye, and 


No comments:

Post a Comment