Monday, May 4, 2015

Erin Noelle "Spark"ed My Interest With This Top Read


I rarely give a book 5 Diamonds.  I like to reserve that for a book that is truly life altering.  Something that changes the way I think; changes the way I look at certain topics; changes the way I look at a particular area of life.

"Spark" by Erin Noelle met all those expectations and more.

Besides the brilliant cover, "Spark" touches on a hot topic these days...the use of medicinal marijuana.  And frankly, Ms. Noelle nails it.

I have read books that include pot usage in them before.  I'm sure we all have.  Usually, though, it's in the context of a bunch of druggies that don't actually function in life.  They probably sell  drugs illegally as a job.  They live in nasty apartments.  They are far from functioning members of society.

But in "Spark", those stereotypes are broken.  This is a loving family that lives in Colorado.  The parents are a little hippie and quirky, but they love each other and their children fiercely.  They run a resort just outside of Breckenridge...and they grow medicinal marijuana.  And in a world of books where no idea is new, this one truly is.

The romance portion is between Hudson, one of daughters in this family, and Crew, who has moved to Colorado with his mother and brother in search of some alternative treatments to his brother's escalating epilepsy. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the characters and the storyline.  The romance was a bit insta-love for me at the beginning.  But Ms. Noelle completely redeemed herself the further along I got into the story.  And then what did she do?

BAM!

She threw me for a loop that came out of nowhere and I spent the entire remainder of the book wrapped up in emotion.  So much so, that...well, let me almost quote the PM I sent her...

"I
Effing
Hate You.

But bravo for going there.  Because as much as I hate you...that's real. And I'm tired of books not being real."

Consider the above PM your warning of potential thrown Kindles.  Any other explanation will spoil it for you.  And as much as you'll hate Ms. Noelle, too, she works through any and all drama realistically.

"Spark" is going to stick with me permanently.  Has my stance on medicinal marijuana been affected?  I don't know.  I haven't done any real research on it and this book didn't read like a political statement.  I learned a lot about the chemistry and technicalities of growing marijuana safely.  But I never felt like there was a hidden agenda.  So get it by clicking here.

I can safely say it was one of my top reads for this year.  There by earning a shiny


No comments:

Post a Comment