Thursday, May 14, 2015

Author Sara Ney Explains Why 5 Diamonds Will Never Be Enough in the "Interim"

Recently, Author Sara Ney and I have become friends.  The thing about her is, she's ornery.  More ornery than anyone I know.  And kind of squirrelly.  So when Sara Ney says there is a book she adores, I take notice.

She hasn't stopped talking about this one, so what a better way to hear about it than have her write a guest review!  

Here now, is my friend and Author, Sara Ney:


Before I begin this review, I think it’s important to point out several things about myself:

  • My literary preferences are extremely one dimensional—as in: I like feel good romance. That’s it. Not dark romance. Not drama. Tons of plot twists? No thanks. Villains and narcissistic characters? Hard pass. Vampires, shape shifters, and love triangles? No, no, and no. Feel. Good. Romance. Please and thank you.
  • I’m the kind of reader authors probably cannot stand; I judge books by their covers (sorry) and I usually decide within 1-3 pages if I’m going to continue reading a book.
  • I typically only write reviews for books I didn’t like. This point should probably be added to #2, but out of sheer laziness I’ll leave it here.

With all the above being said… S. Walden takes my breath away. Her writing is crushing. Heart-wrenching. Honest. A slap in the face. A punch in the gut. Tear-jerking. Suspenseful. 

Well guess what? These are NONE of the feelings I want to feel when I’m reading. Ever. Sorry, but I’m not the kind of reader who wants to sniffle, feel ill, or have my soul laid bare from a plot-line. Or lose hope. Or want to shout out in anger.

And yet… Every time S. Walden comes out with a new book, I download it and clear my calendar, plan to lose sleep, pull an all-nighter, have a book hanger over, and be crabby the next day.

"Interim" is hands down the best book by her I’ve read. Except for "Going Under". And "Hoodie". Shit, they’re all outstanding. I almost didn’t want to do a book review; I wanted to do an author review, but I didn’t think Chelle would let me.

"Interim" is, simply, about a boy: This boy is lost. Alone. Beaten. Bullied. Angry. So angry he has a plan; a plan he foolishly puts on paper. A plan to terminate those people that have destroyed his soul. But fate has a cruel plan too, and this notebook full of hatred, violence, and design, ends up in the hands of a girl. A girl who becomes the obstacle in his path for restitution.

You better run, little girl, he thought, feeling for the first time that he
was actually the bad guy…

The topic is heavy. Controversial. Disturbing.

The characters are flawed. The boy is so beyond damaged he’s almost past redemption.

And yet… he’s beautiful. The whole fu***d up story is beautiful because S. Walden captures it in a way no other author can. No author should.

My heart is pounding right now, and I’m not happy. Because I did want to throw my book at the end. I did become ill when I read it. I had hope. And my soul was laid-bare by this author.

Interim takes its place in my top spot of favorites, and S. Walden continues to astonish me with her incredible talent.


Five Diamonds too few.  But that's what I give it.  Get it by clicking here.


No comments:

Post a Comment