Monday, April 6, 2015

Penny Reid Give Us a "Chemistry" Lesson Like No Other


I love Penny Reid stories.  No, not stories by Penny Reid.  Well, I love those, too.  But what I mean is, I love stories that Penny Reid stars in.  

Today, I have a new one for you.  

One day, Penny Reid was writing a book called "Elements of Chemistry" when she looked down at her word count.  

"Oh no!" Penny said.  "I have over one hundred thousand words already and the book isn't even close to being finished!  Whatever should I do?"

A little birdie promptly landed on her shoulder and whispered in her ear, "Split it into three parts.  That way even if it's TWO hundred thousand words, it will never feel too long for the reader."

So that's what Penny did.  Hence, her new SERIES titled "Elements of Chemistry".

((I may have taken some liberties with the previous story.  But you get my drift.))

This leads to my next giant declaration:

I have finally met my favorite character.

Ever.

In the history of the world.

Her name is Kaitlyn Parker and she is the epitomy of socially awkward. When she gets overwhelmed, she hides in a closet until she can calm down.  When she's nervous, she recites synonyms to whatever word pops in her mind.  Any issue that needs to be discussed with her parents has to be put on an agenda for their weekly meeting.

And she gets the guy everyone wants.

Ok, I'm getting ahead of myself.  Considering "Elements of Chemistry" by Penny Reid is a three-parter, it remains to be seen if she actually GETS the guy.  But he at least likes her.  Like, REALLY likes her.  And I love it.

Kaitlyn is so social awkward and has so many quirks that she resembles a lot of kids today.  But here's the thing, in a day and age where so many of us have children with different anxieties stemming from a variety of reasons, children we worry will never find someone who loves them, I wanted to keep shouting "YES!!!" while reading this book.  Because her quirkiness is what makes her endearing.  Her social awkwardness is what attracts the hot guy to her.  Her differences are what make her so very special in the very best ways.  And I closed the book thinking to myself, "Yeah, my kid is gonna do just fine."

Oh yeah.  And there's a guy involved, too.  And you'll like him.  But frankly, where the first part left off, I don't love him.  But Ms. Reid has a few tricks up her sleeve that will make us shout "YES!!!" about him, too.  He deserves it.  You'll just have to trust me on that.

"Elements of Chemistry: Attraction" went live several days early and you really don't want to miss it.  The complete series has already made my list of Top Reads for the year.  So pre-order it by clicking here. You'll be so glad you did.

Ms. Reid shows us what "Attraction" really is and leaves us with a bombshell of a story, earning an giant 














No comments:

Post a Comment