Thursday, February 26, 2015

It May Be "Imperfect", but It's a Perfect Cold-Weather Read


I admit it.  I'm a sucker for a good series.  Not the kind that has a cliffhanger at the end of every book.  The kind that introduces us to a group of people that we get to know and love over several stories.  

So when I started reading "Imperfectly Perfect" by A.E. Woodward, I knew I was gonna be hooked. Sure enough, three days later, I had read them all and was depressed because...well, there weren't any more.


The series, aptly titled "A Series of Imperfections" follows a group of roommates...three guys and one girl nearing the age of 30 as they navigate their way through life and love.  But here's where it gets interesting...none of the situations are even remotely similar.  How so?


In "Imperfectly Perfect", Emma and Shane are both trying to find love in all the wrong places and may be missing what's right in front of them.


In "Imperfectly Real ", Tyler falls for a married woman.  WHAT?!?  Yeah.  I didn't see that coming either.  But relax, you triangle haters.  Things are not always what they seem.


In "Imperfectly Bad", Rob is still pining for a lost love that turns back up and turns his world upside down, whether he likes it or not.


Each book made me cry at some point (damn pregnancy hormones), but mostly because they aren't your cookie cutter romance novels.  They look at the harder issues that come with relationships.  The ugly side, if you will.  And my heart broke when theirs did.  Which was quite a few times.  You know.  Like real life.


A.E. and I have discussed this series and how much I enjoyed it.  But she knows where my critique comes in.  


The editing.


However, I will give her mad props for the fact that "Imperfectly Perfect" was her debut novel.  She used ZERO beta readers.  And it was her editor's first edit.  Obviously they have both come a long way since then.  


So be prepared to overlook some editing mistakes and the word "whilst" (in A.E.'s words, "That was a rookie mistake.  Someone convinced me to use it.").  But I promise it will be worth it in the end to meet these characters.  Personally, I wish they were real so I could infiltrate their group and be their new friend.


You can get "Imperfectly Perfect" by clicking here.

Get "Imperfectly Real" by clicking here.
Get "Imperfectly Bad" by clicking here.

While the editing was imperfect, the stories made up for it to bring in 




No comments:

Post a Comment