Monday, February 16, 2015

"Something Yellow" is Something of Perfection


Very rarely do I finish a book, put it down and think "Wow.  Just....wow."

But my newest Diamond, Laura Templeton, did just that when I read her beautiful book "Something Yellow".  It made me say "wow" and made it incredibly difficult to pick up another book.


"Something Yellow" is set in the Appalachian Mountains.  Not the extreme poverty stricken areas.  But a small community that might be considered lower middle class.


Our heroine, Holly, returns home after spending thirteen years trying to bury the grief of losing her younger sister.  And I mean "losing" in the literal sense.  Gone.  Vanished without a trace. Can you imagine living with the questions for thirteen years?  


But Holly has to return home to care for her dying mother.


Templeton paints a beautiful picture of the Appalachian Mountains, as well as the good, and bad that must be endured to live there.  The characters are wonderfully developed and the story adds just enough of an element of mystery to force you to walk in Holly's shoes.  You want to know what happened to her sister as much as she does.  And you experience the frustration of not knowing.


"Something Yellow" is a beautifully written story about dealing with grief, not outrunning your demons and finding your own closure...even if answers never come.


My ONLY critique is that it ended rather abruptly.  There really could have been an additional chapter or two to develop that part of the story.  But overall, that doesn't take away from the fact that "Something Yellow" is one of my top reads so far this year.  And I don't say that lightly.  You can get it by clicking here.


Laura Templeton wrote a book that I would normally give 4.5 diamonds.  But since I don't have that graphic, I'm rounding it up to a solid





No comments:

Post a Comment