Thursday, September 4, 2014

Possibly My Favorite Read This Year


In 1917, Lena Buchanan was tired of living under the thumb of her abusive husband.  She had 3 small children and wanted them, and herself, to live a life without fear.  She wanted a better life for all of them.

Before I go on, think about this for a second.  It was 1917.  Almost 100 years ago.  Women didn't work then.  They didn't even have the right to vote!  But Lena imagined something better.  So had the courage and gumption to do what NO ONE did in 1917.  

She said, "Enough".  And she filed for divorce from her husband.

In August of that same year, her husband proved exactly how crazy he was when he shot and killed her in front of a department store just past 8am.  He then shot and killed himself.


Sounds like an interesting book right?  Well Lena's life and death isn't the result of someone's imagination.  No.  Lena Buchanan is author Emily Hemmer's great-great grandmother.  And 100 years later, Lena is the inspiration for the beautiful book, "Wynn in Doubt".

Ms. Hemmer told me Lena's story when I met her at the Denton Author Event.  She then told me how Lena's story took on a life of it's own.


What if Lena had gotten away?  What kind of life could she have had?  Could she had survived?  Could she have thrived?  Could she have found love?


So Ms. Hemmer began writing.  And ended with one of my favorite books this year.


Now, I don't normally go for historical romances or historical dramas.  Period pieces just don't do it for me.  But "Wynn in Doubt" isn't just a story about a woman living in the roaring 20's.  It's actually about a modern day girl who seems to have gotten lost in her own life.  As this girl, Wynn, goes looking for answers about her great grandmother, she finds parallels to their lives that start to explain her own self-doubt and depression.


Just because this book doesn't fall into the historical genre, doesn't mean the attention to detail has been lost.  No.  Ms. Hemmer did a lot of research that really came through.  It was fascinating to find out  more about bootleggers and moonshine stills.  In fact, if it weren't for the lone sex scene, I would have my 11 year old daughter read this novel when her history class starts discussing this era.


(Speaking of, if you have a teen, I would suggest reading this novel to see if it's something you feel comfortable with him/her reading.  As a fictional book it is beautiful.  But as a glimpse into the past, it is fascinating.  It would definitely bring the 20's to life to any student studying it in school)


"Wynn in Doubt" is an absolute beautiful story of finding yourself, learning how not to settle, and facing your future head-on without forgetting your past.  It is one of the only books I have read recently that I can say is just about flawless.  Get it by clicking here.


So thank you, Lena, for being a courageous woman who took a stand.  100 years later, your story is making a difference.

And thank you, Ms. Hemmer, for breathing new life into Lena's story.

My newest Diamond, Emily Hemmer, and her book "Wynn in Doubt" get a flawless




4 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree with this review more. I had the opportunity to read Wynn earlier this year and also gave it 5 Stars! Best thing I've read since Eat, Pray, Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more!!
    A breathtaking book that made me stop and look at my life and wonder at the things that I have been brave enough to change and reevaluate the things that I still need to accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my inspirational read. I fell in love with it after reading the first two chapters. I have a book shelf but I leave the paperback copy on my nightstand for reference when life gets too tough or when I just want to give up. Emily put her heart and soul into Wynn in Doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you connected with Emily and her book. I suggest her other, numerous Chik Lit books. They will have you rolling and reading!

    ReplyDelete