Thursday, September 11, 2014

A Perfect Read For Your Book Club


Sometimes a girl just needs a good cry.  She needs to curl up on the couch in her jammies with a pint of Chunky Monkey and watch "The Notebook".  It's just cathartic to have that release.  

"Family Interrupted" by Linda Barrett was that cathartic release for me.  I cried for the majority of the book.  I know, I know...I cry all the time when I read.  But this one just kept sneaking up on me.  Here's the synopsis as posted on Amazon:

"Guilt and Blame.

Shaken by tragedy, the Barnes family has fractured.  Mother.  Father.  Son.  Each dealing with the pain separately and alone.  Holding fast to guilt and blame.  Real or imagined.

Claire, an artist who finally follows her dream and encounters a nightmare.  Jack, a home builder who thinks he can fix anything -- except what matters most.  And Ian, a teenage son to be proud of.  Until he moves out.  Fifty miles away from the darkness at home.

On the verge of divorce when their son's new life goes terribly awry, Clair and Jack are forced to re-examine their lives in order to save their marriage and heal a family that, according to Ian, "has gone to hell."

But can they find the road back?"

This book takes place over a two year period of time.  We watch as all three immediate family members go through the ten stages of grief (or twelve or eight, depending on which source you are referring to).  It really shows how there is no clear distinctions between those stages.  It's more of an ebb and flow.  And no one's ebb and flow is the same as anyone else's.

As a mother, reading this book and "living" through it was extremely difficult.  Losing a child is the biggest fear I have.  In a sadistic sort of way, that may be part of why it was so fascinating to read.  Because, what would I do?  Would I find an inner strength?  Or would I become a drunk?  I just don't know.  This book brought up questions about myself that were interesting to think about.

My biggest critique is that is ended at 86%, which threw me off.  In its defense, it is a pretty lengthy book, so it wasn't a huge deal.  It was just a little jarring, so be prepared.  Besides previews of a couple of other books, there is a section of discussion questions, making it a perfect read for a book club meeting.

"Family Interrupted" is definitely an unexpected and welcome find. Linda Barrett is now newest Diamond in the Rough. I will be watching her and her work from now on.  You can get "Family Interrupted" by clicking here.

This unexpected tear jerker gets a solid






No comments:

Post a Comment