Thursday, September 18, 2014

L.B. Simmons Rises to the Challenge with this Emotional Read


I know we're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover.  But can we all just take a moment to enjoy this most AMAZING cover!  Just beautiful.  Possibly one of my favorite book covers ever.

Ok, back to the actual blog post.

When I go to author events, I keep a certain amount of money in my pocket for books.  It's really the only way I can keep  myself on a budget.  When I start to run out of money, though, it becomes quite the challenge.

The Denton Author Event was no different.  When I started running low on cash, I turned to my good friend Kathryn Perez and said, "Ok...I've gotten everything I was dying to get.  What should I spend my last $15 on?"

She looked around the room and said, "Oh!!  L.B. Simmons!  "The Resurrection of Aubrey Miller! You'll love it!"

I am now re-evaluating my friendship with Kathryn because I'm pretty sure she is trying to kill me with all the emotions.  Because she knows I'm a crier by nature.  

I cry when someone loses on a game show.  I cry when someone wins on a game show.  If I don't cry while reading a book, it was probably a comedy.  And even then, it's a pretty good possibility that I teared up.  So for me to say I cried while reading this book isn't saying much.

So how about this....

I cried A LOT!  I mean...a WHOLE lot.  There are just so many well written elements of the story line that brought me to tears.  So much heartbreak and and drama.  At one point, I could actual envision my own 6 year old in the scene and it just about gutted me.  Seeing certain traumas from a child's perspective is enough to bring even the most hard core reader to their knees.

Now, there are a few back and forth personality transitions that I think were a bit too rushed. But even to my own critique, I have to say...

GET OVER IT!  Get over the discrepancies and read this book by clicking here.

Any book that makes me see people with more compassion and less judgement, is a book well done.  And I will be the first to admit, when I volunteer at my teen's school, I will now and forever look at the goth kids differently.

L.B. Simmons and her book, "The Resurrection of Aubry Miller" rose to the challenge for


No comments:

Post a Comment