Monday, September 14, 2015

Mara Jacobs' Books are Always "Worth" Reading


My very first blog post was about an author no one had told me about before.  Her name was Mara Jacobs and I randomly found her when I picked up her book "Worth the Weight" for free.  I fell in love with the book and promptly one-clicked the rest of them.

So imagine my excitement when I saw a new installment in what is arguably one of my very favorite series'.  (On a side note, I have no idea why I wasn't counting down the days until it released.  How I missed it, I'll never know.  But it made for a great surprise!)

I wish I could give an accurate description of "Worth the Price", but the synopsis does it better than I ever could.  So here it is:

"Liv Beck loved her husband desperately, but that wasn't enough to keep him.  A failed marriage has taught her what's important, and how to get what she wants.  Unfortunately, she'll need her ex-husband's help to get it.

Twain Beck has dealt with the guilt of his divorce for seven years. Now he can finally make it up to Liv by giving her the one thing she wants most.  But is the price too high?

Spending time together reminds Liv how much she always loved Twain, but she knows she needs to protect her heart this time.  Twain can't understand these new feelings he's developing for Liv.  Could he be falling in love with his ex-wife?

Is trying again...Worth The Price?"

The thing I love about Mara Jacobs' writing is that it is effortless. There is no added drama for the sake of over the top angst or a gut-wrenching climax.  That's not to say you don't feel emotion when you read her books.  You absolutely do.

But what sets them apart is that they are realistic.  The relationship Twain and Liv have could be that of any divorced couple.  The emotions you feel when you find out the truth of why they split in the first place don't come from a place of throw-your-kindle-across-the-room shock.  They come from a place of genuine grief because you've connected with the characters in a very real way.

Add onto it, "Worth the Price" beautifully reiterates that no one ever really knows why a marriage crumbles except the two people in the marriage...no matter how much speculation there may be.  And no matter what they let you believe.

My only critique is what my BFF Allison said when she finished..."I need an epilogue!"  Well, I agree.  But I could also use 15 more chapters, another installment and maybe a live in housekeeper.  But alas, I have to defer to Ms. Jacobs on this one.  Only she knows when the story is actually over so I trust her judgement.  

Either way, you won't be disappointed.  You can get "Worth the Price" by clicking here.  And rest assured, while the entire series is fantastic, they can each be read as stand alone novels.  But...why would you want to do that???

Once again, Mara Jacobs has proven why her books are always "Worth" it for a solid





 




1 comment:

  1. I so agree that this book needed at least a few more chapters...and now we have to wait for the next one....geeeez! I love Mara's books and even learned a lot about the U.P.....

    ReplyDelete