Thursday, September 10, 2015

I Can't "Remember When" I Enjoyed a Series So Much


If you are like me, you are probably afraid to count how many books are on your ereader.  Personally, my TBR list is longer than I could possibly ever get through and just the thought of missing out on something brilliant causes me anxiety.  What can I say...it's a curse.

On the flip side, having a zillion books to choose from means sometimes I end up finding something spectacular that I missed when it was first released.

That's how I found the "Remember When" series by T. Torrest the other day; I randomly selected a book that looked intriguing and dove in.

After devouring what was one of the best books I've read in a while, I promptly one-clicked the rest of the books in the series (it's a trilogy) and finished them all in less than two days.  At one point, I actually put the last book down and walked away because I didn't want it to end.  I had to prolong it for a while.

So let's back up for a minute.  What makes these books so great?  

Easy.  The writing.

"Remember When" is told from Layla's point of view as she tells the story of her relationship with Trip Wiley, the hottest male actor in Hollywood.  

Part One is about their relationship in high school, way back in 1990, before Trip ever went to California.  The details are spot on, from big hair and stretch pants to the pop-culture references, which makes it fun.  But the writing is so brilliantly done that by the time you get to Part Two, when Trip is a movie star, it doesn't come across as cheesy or unrealistic.  The characters, and therefore the readers, always knew Trip was destined for great things.  He was always charismatic and stood out from the rest.  So his fame isn't a shock to anyone inside or outside of the story.

Parts Two and Three concentrate on Layla and Trip's attempts at rekindling their relationship while in the Hollywood spotlight.  While not a new concept, what makes this one stand out from the rest is the fact that these two can't figure out how to get it right.  That makes for an extremely realistic story.  And let's face it...how many times have you sat back after finishing a book and thought "Well that resolved itself too quickly, didn't it?"  

"Remember When", however, took it's time.  It didn't rush as we took a journey through heartache and unconditional love.  It didn't gloss over looking at insecurities we all would face under these circumstances.  

Hands down, "Remember When" is one of my top reads this year.  I adored the series, adored the characters and now, I adore T. Torrest's writing.

You can get "Remember When: Part One" by clicking here.  It's free on Kindle, so you've got nothing to lose!  Even if you opt not to read Parts Two and Three, you won't regret reading the first installment.  If for no other reason, than to relive high school, '90's style.

I can't "Remember When" the last time I enjoyed a series so much that all three books received 


No comments:

Post a Comment