Monday, January 5, 2015

Welcome our New Reviewer! "Isn't She Lovely"?

This little bitty blog has grown by leaps and bounds in the last few months.  So much so, that I'm pleased to announce an addition to our Diamonds in the Rough page.  Kristin Delcambre will now be bringing you regular reviews as well!!

Two bloggers means unearthing all kinds of Diamonds!  So enjoy her reviews.  She has a real eye for talent!  Everyone please welcome, Kristin!


Okay, so this is my first ever blog review of a book.  Sure, I've reviewed books that I loved on Amazon or Goodreads, but I'm a little nervous about this one.

I'm not sure how I first stumbled upon Lauren Layne, but I am so glad I did.  I fell in love with her from the very first page of the book, "Isn't She Lovely".  It's the prequel to the "Redemption" series, which includes "Broken" and "Crushed".  Here's the synopsis:

"'Who knew that pretending you're not falling for someone would be so much more difficult than pretending that you are?'

Stephanie Kendrick gave up her whole summer to ace her NYU film school screenwriting course, so she's pissed to be stuck with a preppy, spoiled frat boy as her writing partner.  Then again, with her piercings, black-rimmed eyes, and Goth wardrobe, Stephanie isn't exactly Ethan Price's type, either.  He's probably got his eye on some leggy blonde with a trust fund...or does he?

As the summer scene kicks off in the Hamptons, Ethan is desperate to make his snobbish mother forget the pedigreed girl who broke his heart.  While Stephanie's a stretch as a decoy, the right makeover and a pastel cardigan just might do the trick.  She may not love the idea of playing Ethan's brainless Barbie girlfriend, but the free rent and luxurious digs make a tempting offer. So does the promise of a ready-made screenplay idea inspired by their charade.

But when Stephanie steps into Ethan's privileged world, the "acting" begins to feel all too real. The kissing and touching that were intended to fool the Hamptons crown wind up manipulating them.  And Stephanie faces a question she's too afraid to ask:  Is Ethan falling for the real her or for the dolled-up princess he wants to see?"

I know that this theme has been played out before in movies such as "Pretty Woman", but this story truly held its own.  I think I laughed more in the first chapter than I had in a week!  I can't help it;  I'm a sucker for comedic relief, and this book had it in spades.  I really connected with the female lead and felt as if I were the BFF along for the ride.  

Predictability aside, I enjoyed the journey Stephanie and Ethan took to change their Pygmalion romance into something more.  I love this author's sense of humor and will most definitely be buying more from her in the future.

You can get "Isn't She Lovely" by clicking here.  It's currently a whopping $0.84!!

Lauren Layne and this "Redemption" series prequel get 

No comments:

Post a Comment