Monday, June 22, 2015

This New-to-You Author Will Make You "Swoon"


Ok, I'll admit it.  I don't like horses.  I mean, they're fine to feed carrots to and watch from a distance and maybe rub their noses as long as they don't snot all over me.  But I just don't care for them.  

I know it stems from being thrown off of one and into a tree as a kid. Granted it wasn't the horse's fault.  He got spooked because there was a lose bobcat in the area.  But still. It has created a fear in me that I have just never gotten over.

This translates into my like or dislike of books.  I don't gravitate towards hot cowboys or sexy trail rides or anything of that nature.

So when a friend of mine told I needed to read this series about people who work on farms and specialize in various horse related careers, I wasn't overly thrilled.  But I thought to myself, "She and I normally agree on the books we like, so I'll give them a chance."

I'm glad I did!  Because while author CM Foss's characters live and breath horse ranches, they are so much more than just cowboys and girls in cowboy boots.

The first book, "Shiver" was good.  For a debut novel, Ms. Foss did a nice job.  Now, I will say, I had one major problem with it.  It should have been turned into two books...a novel and a novella.  Because the second part of the book had such a different feel to it, it was almost jarring.

Why do I mention that in my review?  Because if you know the transition is coming, you will probably not be as jarred as I was and therefore will enjoy it more.  And I want you to enjoy it!  The second part in particular was a very personal journey for Ms. Foss and discussed a topic that I think most people need to be enlightened about.  So that was very impressive to me and she deserves to be commended for it.  

But her second book, "Swoon", now THAT is where Ms. Foss hits her stride and her voice really, really comes through.

"Swoon" was just plain fun to read.  And frustrating.  And you wanted to smack the main characters around and yell "GET IT TOGETHER!" And then you wanted to hug them for all their insecurities.  It was great fun.  

So here's the way I recommend things...now that you have been warned about the major transition in "Shiver," read it.  It's a lovely debut novel.  Get it by clicking here.

But even if you don't, read "Swoon" this summer.  It is so perfect for lounging by the pool or sitting on the campgrounds.  It's a great summer read!  Even for those of us who don't like horses.  Get it by clicking here.

CM Foss really did make me "Swoon" for a solid


No comments:

Post a Comment