Thursday, June 4, 2015

These "Gentle Chains" Are Worth Getting Wrapped Up In


I'll admit, I tend to be very set in my ways when it comes to books.  I love, love, love angst.  I love a good romance.  I love stories about the human spirit.  I love new adult and young adult and a good paranormal.

What I don't particularly enjoy is science fiction, fantasy or dystopian.

So I will admit, I was a bit leery when I picked up "Gentle Chains" by Nazarea Andrews.  While it's falls under the NA category, it's set in space (science fiction).  Most of the characters are aliens of some sort, but have wings or are dragons or have psychic powers (fantasy).  And it has kind of a Hunger Games vibe to it (dystopian).

Oh, how wrong I was to judge this book before reading it!  Because it is bloody brilliant.  Here's is a shortened version of the official synopsis off of Amazon:

"When slavers steal Juhan and his twin sister Chosi from their home planet of psychics, their only comfort is the fact that they're together.  When they are separated at auction, Juhan swears to find his sister, no matter the cost....

....Spun across space and exotic worlds, Juhan and Chosi try to find each other, and home in a stunning story about the lengths love will take you."

I agree....this novel is, in fact, stunning.  

The story is interesting (even for nay sayers like me).  The character development is spot on.  And the writing is impeccable.  

Ms. Andrews creates not just one new world.  But multiple new worlds that each have a different feeling and vibe to them.  I kept thinking "This would make a fabulous movie."

It did take me longer than normal to plug through this book.  Because it's a book that makes you think.  It makes you wonder.  It makes you feel the depths the psyche will go to for survival.  

I discovered at the end that it's the first in a series.  But, rest assured, it doesn't end on a cliffhanger.  More like, you know there is more to come.  And that's fine.  It ended right when my brain needed a break to contemplate anyway.

Do yourself a favor and get wrapped up in Nazarea Andrews' "Gentle Chains".  You can get it by clicking here.  You owe it to yourself to read a smart book.  And this one won't disappoint.

Ms. Andrews and her world of aliens get a highly recommended 



No comments:

Post a Comment