Thursday, August 13, 2015

Author Emily Hemmer Shows Us Why Being "Plus None" Isn't Always a Bad Place to Be


I met Author Emily Hemmer at the Traveling Book Shelf event last summer.  She taught me the art of taking the perfect selfie.  You just keep changing positions and taking pics until you get the perfect one! So of course, when I ran into her again at this year's Traveling Book Shelf event, we had to try out the skills I had perfected over the past year!  

Here's what we ended up with:




Ooookkkkk.....

Apparently I either need some more guidance on this selfie thing or just to never, ever put photography on my list of potential career choices.  

*sigh*

Next year....

But before taking the world's most blurry pictures, I picked up a copy of Ms. Hemmer's book "Plus None".  And then I devoured it in a day.

"Plus None" is about a small town girl, Charlie, who loves her small town life.  Her family is full of strange and stereotypical rednecks.  In fact, it's pretty clear she's probably the only one who wasn't dropped on her head as a baby.

On the other hand, Alex is from money.  Lots and lots of money.  And while he doesn't have a problem with this small town girl and her honky tonk life, it becomes painfully clear that when it comes to money, the greedy bastards around you aren't going to look kindly on anything that may rock the proverbial yacht.

"Plus None" was full of heart and humor and some pretty crazy chemistry.  Of course, there were moments I also wanted to kick Alex in the junk for being spineless and punch Charlie in the throat for not being stronger.  But what's a good love story without the realism of human nature weaved in?

One thing is for sure, "Plus None" isn't your typical rich-guy-falls-for-small-town-girl story.  There are quite a few more layers to it and quite a few more twists and surprises.  Hence, why I devoured it in a day.

Lucky us, there is also a prequel to "Plus None" called "Just One".  It gives the background story as to how Charlie and Alex actually met. And it's only 99-cents.  You can get it by clicking here.

But I guarantee you'll want to see how the rest of the story plays out. So pick up "Plus None" while you're at it by clicking here.

Next time I see Ms. Hemmer, I will definitely be picking up more of her books.  And maybe taking another selfie lesson or two.

Ms. Hemmer doesn't need a Plus One to pull off


No comments:

Post a Comment