Thursday, December 18, 2014

This Diamond Can't Be Considered Rough Anymore


It is with a heavy heart that I say, this is probably the last time I will do a review on Brenda Rothert.  Will I still pimp her books?  Sure.  I love them.  But it appears our Diamond in the Rough had turned into a full blown engagement ring!  

Her "Fire on Ice" series is selling like hotcakes because, well, they're just plain hot!  The final installment of this series is "Release" about Orion.  Orion is just....well....just take a look at the synopsis:

NHL player Orion Caldwell protects his own.  He's an enforcer to his core, but he was the one left defenseless when his longtime girlfriend broke his heart.  Now he's all about his game, but spending the offseason in his hometown forces him to confront painful issues - both old and new.

Samara Cross just wants to be invisible. After living a nightmare, she came back to her hometown seeking solace.  But her quiet new life is upturned by the hot, charismatic hockey player who's taken a sudden interest in her.

Orion and Samara find something unexpected in each other, but when the hockey offseason ends, so does their time together.  They struggle with their separation, confronted by ghosts of the past and an uncertain future, discovering that sometimes the only way to hold on to something precious is to let go.

Ok, let's just back up for a second.  The second sentence of that synopsis says, "He's an enforcer to his core."  I was previously unaware that being an enforcer basically means he's paid to get in fistfights on the ice.  Yeah, yeah, there's more to it than that.  But focus on the fun part.....he's getting in fistfights on the ice!!  I have no idea why that seems like a totally hot thing for him to do for a living, but it does.

Beyond that, the story line is just nicely put together.  I loved both the main characters, wanted to punch out the ex-girlfriend, and found myself cheering when both Orion and Samara learned how to take care of themselves, no matter what the cost.

Without spoiling anything, I will say the ending was not what I was expecting.  The twist had me PMing Ms. Rothert to cuss her out for making me cry on an airplane.  So don't expect it to be "everything is all roses and unicorns" type ending.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great ending!  It's just a twist I wouldn't have guessed in a million years!

While this is the conclusion of the "Fire on Ice" series, she has some new things in the works.  I am really excited to see what she does next.  In the meantime, pick up this fabulous book by clicking here. (And if you haven't started the series yet, the first one, "Bound" is always free by clicking here.)

"Release" easily skated it's way into my heart to earn 











No comments:

Post a Comment