Monday, December 22, 2014

Author Dawn L. Chiletz Tells us Why Sometimes it's "Worth The Fall"

Funny story....

We usually don't review New York Times best sellers because, well, they aren't exactly Diamonds in the Rough.  Those are usually very seasoned authors.  Our one exception, of course, is Colleen Hoover.  Mostly because I can't help myself.

Anyway, today's guest reviewer, Author Dawn L. Chiletz and I had been discussing her writing a review of the following book for a while.  Yesterday, the review was written.  And wouldn't ya know...last night the author popped up on the New York Times best seller list.  HA!  So I guess lots of people will agree with this stellar review!

So here now is Dawn L. Chiletz and her review of this book:


There's nothing I like more than falling in love.  It's probably one of the things I enjoy most about reading.  Reading gives me the chance to live vicariously though fictional characters and to fall in love each time they do.  Let's just say I have many, many book boyfriends.  I'd like to add another to the list.  His name is Matt McKinney.  Not only is Matt a Navy Seal and hotter than hell, he's also patient, kind and good with kids.  Here's the synopsis that had me one-clicking, although truth be told, she had me at the cover.

"The meet on a beach...Abby Davis isn't wearing a skimpy bikini or sipping umbrella drinks, not when she's busy chasing around four little ones.  And Matt McKinney isn't looking for fun - he's a Navy SEAL, a grown man with a long list of missions. . . and fallen brothers.

They only have a week...Abby has brought her children to this beach to start over, to give them the enjoyable memories they deserve.  Matt's been sidelined by a combat injury, and haunted by the best friend he lost and the promise he made:  to remain a SEAL - focused and dedicated.  This leaves no time for what he's always wanted: a family.

But a week is all it takes...Matt opens his heart while Abby soothes his soul.  And though they plan to say good-bye when the week is over, something magical happens on that beach, something neither can forget.  Something utterly, completely worth falling for."

I loved this story.  Every single character felt relatable and I formed an emotional bond with each one of them for different reasons.  First, there's Abby, a strong, beautiful, amazingly patient mother of four, not including the one in her belly.  Abby's had a rough life.  Left parentless though horrible circumstances which I won't spoil, and forced to live a life never feeling loved, or worthy of love, Abby is the perfect heroine.  After her not-so-great husband dies, she's left alone to raise her four kids and is pregnant with her fifth.  She's had plenty of practice parenting alone considering he was never there for her from the starts.  I instantly loved these four amazing, beautifully written children.  These kids were just awesome.  Each has their own distinct personality and way of speaking.  I laughed out loud many times.  Maybe it's because I'm a mom and I'm past that stage, but mostly it's because Claudia Connor writes these kids like she is a kid, or at least in the head of one, using the same words, thoughts and phrases you would expect out of honest to a fault children.  It's easy to love them and want for the whole darn family to find the happiness they deserve.  I stepped right into Abby's shoes and rooted for her at every turn.  I wanted to be her friends.

Enter Matt McKinney, my new book boyfriend.  This guy...he's just wow.  Tough on the outside and a big soft pillow for Abby and her kids to lean on.  I could go on and on about him, but you'll find all that out for yourself.  The story had the perfect amount of twists, turns, romance, angst, and heartbreak.  It was page by page brilliance.  I give this book Five Diamonds.  It's bright and shiny on the outside with enough facets inside to keep your eyes sparkling with tears and love. An added bonus is that you get to see both points of view and get inside the mind of your hero and the girl he loves.  It's easy to see why Claudia Connor is now a best seller.  She's made a fan out of me.  (You can get "Worth the Fall" by clicking here.)








1 comment:

  1. I loved this book as well, can't wait for the next in the series! :)

    ReplyDelete