Monday, October 19, 2015

Take it From Someone Who Knows..Make Sure You Read Lisa DeJong's Latest Series in the Right Order


I made a fatal mistake when reading this book.

Call it post partum baby brain or just plain ditziness.  But somehow, I didn't realize "Love Unspoken" by Lisa DeJong is Book #2 in the "Flawed Love" series.  For about half of the book, I kept wondering what I was missing.  I was waiting for there to be some flashbacks or some sort of background information to be revealed.  Finally, I figured it out...I was missing the first book.  Hence, why I was so confused.  It wasn't my finest moment.

To be clear, I immediately downloaded "Lies Unspoken" so I could catch up.  But before I continue with my review, if you haven't read "Lies Uspoken",  STOP READING THIS REVIEW and go grab it by clicking here.  It's only $0.99 and it will give you all the background info you need to make "Love Unspoken" a much better read.

Because I read the second book in the series first, I'm recognize that my opinion is going to be a little different than if I had done it right.  So take it for what you will.

"Love Unspoken" is the sequel follow up to the rather screwed up love life of Lila.  She's nursing a really bad break up that left her reeling and is trying to figure out how to move on.  Considering she has a sexy boss that is damn near perfect and really into her, it seems like it should be easy.  But the heart doesn't forget as easily as we'd like it to.

I wish I could say I loved Lila.  I didn't.  I liked her.  I understood her.  I totally got where she was coming from.  But I also felt she was kind of wishy-washy.  She would make up her mind and then change it.  I know we all do that, but I felt bad for all the players involved because of it.

I also didn't care for Blake.  I wanted to.  I really, really did.  Even after going back and reading the first book.  I 100% understood where he was coming from.  He has dealt with lots of crap.  But I wanted to say, "No way, Bucko.  You screwed up so bad, you can't fix this."

Don't misunderstand me.  Lisa DeJong has an amazing way with words.  I have dabbled in writing myself and I kept finding myself thinking, "How does she make the simplest things sound so beautiful?" For the writing alone, I recommend reading the book.  Get it by clicking here.

If you enjoyed the first one, "Lies Unspoken" won't disappoint.  There is heartache.  There are happy moments.  There is closure for everyone involved.  The truth is, you don't have to love a character to be happy they get the best resolution for them.

But take it from me...if you ever pick up a book that says the word "series" anywhere on it, make sure you have read the first one.  I suspect I screwed myself out of enjoying this series more than I already did.

Despite my blunder, the writing alone deserves at least 


No comments:

Post a Comment