Monday, October 6, 2014

Don't Be Confused By the Title of this Great Book


With as many indie authors as there are, it stands to reason that sometimes there will be more than one book with the same name.  There are only 26 letters in the alphabet.  Granted, that translates to bazillions of possible titles.  But overlap is inevitable at some point.

My newest Diamond, Bayli Lane, titled her masterpiece "What If".  This "What If" should not be confused with Rebecca Donovan's book by the same name.  (Which, by the way, is supposedly a fabulous read.  You can get it by clicking here.)

Bayli Lane's "What If" is a beautiful work that holds it's own.  It is a bittersweet story that spans over a decade in time and shows how assumptions and lack of communication can impact life in a negative way.

Throughout the book, I wanted to jump into the pages, shake everyone's shoulders and scream, "You love her!  And you love him!  Tell each other and go for it!!"  But sadly, my powers to become a book character weren't working that day, so I was left to suffer in the most wonderful way. 

The truth of this difficult situation is that when you are 15 years old, you're too afraid to say what you really feel.  You are too busy worrying about what others think about you to see the truth of the situations around you.  By the time you are old enough to recognize what's real, decisions have already been made that impact everyone you know.  Once those events are set in motion, it's almost impossible to set out on a different path.

I made one vital mistake while reading this book.  My heart ached so much that about halfway through I couldn't take it any more...and I snuck a peek at the end of the book.  I know, I know!  I felt guilty about it as soon as I flipped the pages back, so you can stop waggling your finger at me! My  mistake didn't ruin the read for me at all.  But I guarantee the impact of the final events were not nearly as strong because I already knew.  Don't make the same mistake I did, no matter how much your heart hurts.  Tough it out.  It'll be worth it.

For me, Ms. Lane did a remarkable job of showing what happens when you let fear keep you from pursuing what you really want, and always living with the knowledge that "If I had only......." Don't make that same mistake with this book.  Get it by clicking here.

Bayli Lane and "What If" don't need to question why I give it


No comments:

Post a Comment