Monday, October 20, 2014

Brenda Rothert Proves Herself Once Again with "Unspoken"



Some books take you on journey and at a certain point BAM!  They knock you sideways and you don't ever see it coming.

Others are a slow burn the whole time.  Your heart hurts from the beginning and you find yourself tearing up in chapter after chapter after chapter.  Oh, the feels!

My Diamond, Brenda Rothert's newest work of art, "Unspoken" is one of those slow burns.  I teared up right at the beginning and it never let up.  I didn't bawl my eyes out at the end.  No, it's even worse.  I think I have a permanent divot down my face because of the single tear that kept coming.

It's hard to explain why it was so consistently sad without giving away some small spoilers.  So I'm going to defer to the official synopsis:

"Palmer Sinclair was on the edge of happily ever after when she broke off her engagement to Brady Grant.  The end of their relationship marked the beginning of a painful solitary journey for her.  Though she makes places beautiful with her work as an interior designer, the rest of her life is anything but beautiful - it's slowly pulling her under.

Brady, a contractor, is swiftly building his business into an empire.  Work is a faithful companion that never lets him down like Palmer did.  When he sees women now, it's on his terms.  And his terms are simple:  just sex.  He won't let a woman break him again.

Palmer is barely holding it together when she and Brady are unexpectedly paired on a project after a year apart.  The pull between them is stronger than ever, but the fallout from their reconnection leaves them both wondering if maybe some things are better left unsaid."

"Unspoken" explores the choices we must make in times of crisis and how we don't always choose wisely.  Sometimes the path we think is right for everyone ends up being the path that's wrong for all involved.  And sometimes when we aren't willing to stand against being forced on the wrong path, the only way to fix it is to double back and start all over.

My only critique of this beautiful book is at the beginning...the decline of their seemingly solid relationship happened so fast it left my head spinning.  But then again, I think even the character's heads were spinning once the dust settled.  How could things spiral out of control so quickly?  You'll see what I mean when you pick it up by clicking here.

I have been a Brenda Rothert fan for quite some time.  Her "Fire on Ice" series is one of  my favs. But "Unspoken" proves that her range of story lines continues to expand and she's not afraid to take more risks.  It's really exciting to see.

"Unspoken" was a wonderful slow burn.  If I could, I would give it 4.5 diamonds.  But alas, I have no .5 graphics.  So I feel comfortable rounding it up to a solid






No comments:

Post a Comment