Thursday, June 25, 2015

Let Author Meghan Quinn Take Your Summer Romance Virginity


Sometimes you just need a little laughter in your books.  Am I right? Something not too serious, but with good writing and interesting characters.

My newest Diamond, Meghan Quinn delivered that recently when I read "The Virgin Romance Novelist".  It was fun.  It was quirky.  It was entertaining.  I had a really hard time putting it down.

So much so that that when "Grey" came out...you know, THE "Grey" by EL James, I actually sat on my bed with "Virgin" in one hand and "Grey" in the other, looking back and forth at them trying to decide which one to read.  If that isn't a true compliment about how good a book is, I don't know what is!  (For those of you wondering, I ended up getting "Grey" on Audible.  Can't read while driving anyway, right?  So in essence, both books won that round!)

The basic premise behind "Virgin" is easy.  Rosie, our heroine, has a love of romance novels and really wants to write one of her own. Problem is, beyond a couple of chaste kisses, she has no experience in the romance department.  At all.

So, with the "help" of her friends (and yes, I use the word "help" loosely), she sets on a journey into the world of dating and sex.  And oh boy.  It is not all her romance novels are cracked up to be.

I really enjoyed the easy banter of this book.  I enjoyed Ms. Quinn's writing style and her characters.  It was just a flat out fun book!  That being said, be warned, it can get a little raunchy at times.  Not all the time, mind you, but there are a few scenes that stick out in my brain. Now that you've been forewarned, you will be just fine!

I will admit, I did struggle a bit with the nonchalantness of intimacy in the storyline.  Not the entire time.  I mean, they are young 20-somethings living in the city, so random hook-ups weren't a surprise. But there are a couple of places in the end where, after certain heartbreaking situations were discovered, I would have liked to see a little more remorse.  Maybe a little more action to prove that remorse. Maybe a little more discussion and acceptance of responsibility for hurting the other.

In Ms. Quinn's defense, I'm also a big softie and once I start crying while reading a book, the one who did the wronging doesn't have to make it up to the other characters, they have to make it up to ME!  (I'm still mad at Jack F'ing Carter.  Two years later.)

Barring my completely psychotic anger towards fictional characters, I truly enjoyed "The Virgin Romance Novelist".  It was quick and light and fun.  Which is exactly what I needed.  You can get it by clicking here.

Author Meghan Quinn proved she's her own kind of "Romance Novelist" for a shiny


No comments:

Post a Comment