Thursday, December 4, 2014

Mia Asher Brings Us Another Tragically Beautiful Read


When Mia Asher released her debut novel, Arsen (which, by the way, is a gut-wrencher but something every woman should read, so get it here), it was such a HUGE success.  Here was an unknown author who released a book that ripped so many readers to shreds on her first time out.  It left many to wonder if it was a fluke.  Was Mia Asher a one-hit-wonder?

After reading her newest title, "Easy Virtue", I can say, without any hesitation, that the answer to that question is absolutely NO!  

Not only is she not a one-hit-wonder, I would go as far as to say she is one of the most brilliant writers in the Indie community today.  Think Tarryn-Fisher-brilliant, except without the twisted little mind.  

The thing I like most about Ms. Asher's writing is she has the uncanny ability to dig deep into the human psyche and show things most of us would never see, whether on purpose or by defense mechanism.  She brings those things to light and makes us, the readers, squirm with discomfort over the harsh reality of a situation.  I mean, just look at the synopsis for "Easy Virtue":

"Love is selfish...

My name is Blaire.
I'm the bad girl.
The other woman.
The one who never gets the guy in the end.

I'm the gold digger.
The bitch.
The one no one roots for.
The one you love to hate.

I hate myself too...

Everyone has a story.  Are you read for mine?"

WOW.

I was on the verge of tears for so much of the book.  I wanted to cry and scream and punch him towards the end and hug her always.  Because there is so much beauty in this tragic, tragic story.

Now there is a lot of buzz on this book and one of the things that keeps coming up is that it is a cliffhanger.  Let me clarify that for you before you write it off as something to read when the second one comes out:  Yes, this is a two-part series.  As Ms. Asher says, when the story started to unravel, she realized it was going to be way too long to be one book.  

I didn't know it was a two-parter and was in no way prepared for the ending.  HOWEVER, I didn't feel that way because I felt shafted or disappointed that I have to wait for the second book.  Quite the contrary.  It was a total and complete mind f*ck.  Again, like a Tarryn Fisher book.  The ending will have you thinking for days but in NO WAY will it frustrate you like an actual cliffhanger.

If you haven't figured it out yet, I am highly recommending this book to everyone.  Pick it up here.  It is a tough read.  But so, so worth it.

My Diamond, Mia Asher and her tragically beautiful story "Easy Virtue" get an easy









No comments:

Post a Comment